Sunday, April 17, 2011

Running

I'm not a good runner. I never have been. As a child playing soccer and softball, I was never the quickest up and down the field or rounding the bases. Thankfully in softball I didn't need to be quick because I was gifted with a solid bat. Even at my healthiest weight running just wasn't a gift that I was given in life.

As I have said before, I have been shedding the pounds over the last few months. Today I decided to download an iPhone app that seemed to be built just for me - Couch to 5K.  The premise of this app is to get you up and moving in a running/walking interval program over a 9 week period culminating in your ability to run a 5k. Again.......culminating in your ability to run 3.1  miles without stopping.

Really.

I downloaded this app with much optimism. My feeling is the old adage "no pain no gain" is one that I need to live with if I want to be successful with my weight loss. And what better than a program that plays to my weakness? Now I don't expect to actually run a 5K after this is all said and done but its nice to think that I would be able to do so.

I tried it out this afternoon and it wasn't fun for me but by the time it was over I was doing better in my run/walk reps. Basically, in the beginning, you perform 8 sets of 30 second runs and 60 second walks. The program is set up for a three times a week workout. At some point the length of the runs will increase and I will be walking less. Oh goody. At the end of my workout, I looked like I had had a good workout and I was glad I did it.

Do I really think I will run a 5k after this? I can't see the light at the end of that tunnel as of yet. However, I will give this program a shot and reap the health benefits from it for now. I'm not ready to ask miracles of myself just yet.

No comments: