Monday, April 11, 2011

Riverside Korean

So we went to Riverside Korean after all and I was very impressed by the cuisine. This was my maiden voyage in the Korean cuisine category. I had something called Mae Un Dak Bok Um. Basically it is a chicken stir-fry with cabbage, carrots, peppers, mushrooms, zucchini and green onions in a spicy sauce. Love the spicy sauce! I even managed to eat 95% of the meal with chop sticks! Amazing since it also included rice in a separate bowl. Have you ever tried to eat rice with chop sticks? Not an easy feat my friends.

There were a couple of downsides. I don't usually sit on the floor anymore because my leg has a tendency to fall asleep. It is odd really. My legs can be straight out and my left leg gets all tingly and simply wants to go to nighty night land. So this restaurant gives you the option of sitting in a booth or on the floor. My compadres asked for a floor spot so I went along with the plan goodnaturedly. So even before the meal began.....the left leg decided that this was the absolute best time to go to sleep. I managed to get through the meal ok by shifting around a bit but it was a pain. The other downside is the restaurant is small and doesn't have a bar. Now....they do serve wine....and their selection is nice but it is also nice to have a pre-dinner cocktail of some sort every now and then.

The food is outstanding and I look forward to going back again. The menu is varied and gives you very different items from which to choose. If you are adventurous, you can choose skate fish or baby octopus. I think there is a good selection so even those who are looking for "less adventure" will be happy. If you haven't tried Korean food, it is a bit different from Thai, Szechuan or Cantonese. It has a flavor and personality all its own which will leave you satisfied and happy.

No comments: