Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Letters

Email.

Don't get me wrong - I love the fact that I can communicate with someone immediately. I mean...that's what communications is all about these days right? Instant gratification. Breaking news on TV or the Internet allows no delay in getting a message to all of us.

I may be sentimental, but to me there is nothing like a good handwritten letter. It conveys much more these days to the receiver of the letter. It says that you sat down, took time out of your day to convey a meaningful message to someone. Now before anyone says that emails can be meaningful too......yes they can fit into the meaningful category as well. However, in this day of "instant on", I still think it means more to the receiver to receive a handwritten letter. I will go out on a limb to say it states that the person is important to you - they mean something to you. You value them enough to take a moment to hand write a letter.

I have a copy of a letter sent from my great-grandmother to my grandfather when he was overseas in WWI. Timeless words during a period when getting the mail from the mailman meant everything! It was our only source for good news or bad news from family or friends. I believe that this has all been lost on society today.

How do you feel about letter writing? What does it mean to you?

No comments: