Friday, January 25, 2008

Middle-aged?

Ok.....this blog is just a quick spin-off to something I read in another lesbian blog this afternoon. The author referred to 30ish year old women as middle-aged. I gasped at first and then I chuckled a bit.

I don't consider "30 anything" to be middle-aged. I am just now beginning to accept that 42 is probably middle-aged. Lordy....I don't want to inflict that label on those who are only 30!

So I am curious and I am going to throw it out to all of you. What age to you consider to be "middle-aged"?

5 comments:

Me. Here. Right now. said...

Drowning Pisces might disagree with you on just when middle-age starts. I figured I hit it about 39 with an optimistic outlook on my potential lifespan. But, I remember thinking that 30 was OLD. I'd rather be 46 than 25 any day of the week. The mind works better, everything is more satisfying ; ) except actually rolling out of bed in the morning (groan), and I appreciate everything so much more...and, I think true middle-aged women are hot.

Dusty said...

Middle age to me is 50-60 yrs old.

Anonymous said...

I'm all for leaving age-labels behind. I recently sent my 84 year old mother (who still tap-dances and attends an aerobics class 3 days a week) a frig magnet with this famous quote: "if you didn't know how old you were, how old would you be?"

The chronological point at which one is in the middle of one's life really cannot be determined since we have no idea when we will die. "Middle-aged" -- as a descriptor implies outdated, frumpish, slow and over the hill. Is this a real measure anymore?

Me. Here. Right now. said...

I don't think middle-aged implies frumpy or over the hill at all...I see it as the beginning of the peak of life when wisdom, health, and experience have all started to come together for an incredible middle of life experience. As the actuarial tables put us with an average lifespan of 78 in our generation, statistically, middle age is one thing. The reality of middle-age is quite wonderful.

arcana said...

50+ and the again , it depends