Thursday, January 10, 2013

Will I See Snow......

...when I am 75?

It's a fair question to ask and ponder. Those of use who are lucky to live in the Midwest can recount many hair-raising winter weather stories from our youth. Yet these days.....and I would say in the last three years.....we have less stories to tell.

In the Cincinnati area, 2012 was the warmest winter season ever. Temperatures below 20 were rare and we received a total of five inches of snow for the season. Our average is approximately 22 inches. Yes......22 inches. My usual 1976 winter storm story has only been bested once with a storm we had in 2005 or 2006 (keep me honest folks) where we received 16 inches of snow in 24 hours.

Today we are seeing another warming trend along with some rain. Temps are projected to be hovering in the 50's and reach a high of 60's on one or two days over the next five days. Yeah....I guess you could say...so why complain? Be thankful its not snowing buckets. Hmmm.

I guess the whole global warming thing has been my concern. A recent news story showed a graphical display of how warm the earth is getting over the last several decades. Apparently there are sensors located around the world that are sending back data to one central source. The temperature increase is disturbing to witness.

Which leads me to my question......will I see a snowfall when I am 75? Will the Earth's temperature heat up so much that snowfalls will occur so randomly that the "winter season" will take on a completely different meaning?

We may have reached the point of no return in regards to global warming. We can't say we weren't warned.

No comments: