Sunday, January 13, 2013

Guilty Pleasures

Sunday mornings are my favorite mornings. I have no errands to run, no appointments or meetings. It's just me, my dog, coffee and the newspaper. Yes...a newspaper. Oh don't get me wrong....I do my fair share of perusing the "web world" for interesting news, sports columns, etc., but on Sunday morning it's different. There is nothing better to me than sitting down with a sizable cup of coffee and reading the paper in the morning. Unfortunately....unless I am on vacation, I only get to do this on Sundays.

Since I enjoy this so much, why do I call it a "guilty pleasure"? It certainly is an interesting choice of words that perhaps we all misuse. I enjoy my Sunday mornings. I don't feel guilty and I don't care what you think about it. So....maybe it is my "non-guilty pleasure". If this is true, then why do we even use the term "GP"? Do what you do and enjoy it when you do it. Right?

I think the problem is that we really don't allow ourselves to do everything we enjoy without attaching some kind of guilt to it. There is a time and place for everything. We all have obligations that we need to fulfill - jobs, parents, children....and we set time aside to do those things that require our full participation or concentration. So why don't we say......STOP.....tomorrow I am taking 2 hours to give something back to myself and I am not going to allow it to become a guilty pleasure. I and everyone around me deserve to have a happier me and by taking these two hours for me.....I am serving all of mankind.

Coffee anyone? :)

No comments: