Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Post-Thanksgiving shopping madness

I am not a shopaholic. The site of a mall as I am driving down the road does not induce shaking, quivering, drooling or uncontrollable body spasms. I am what I like to call a "strategic shopper". Shopping to me is like a reconnaissance mission. I know exactly what I need to buy and what store has that item. Sometimes I even have a list. I go in.....survey the area......find what I need....and head for the cashier. If I don't see what I need, I proceed to the exit. It is that simple. It is also the direct opposite of Lyn's shopping habits but that is another blog entry entirely.

Let me digress.......we all know what is going to happen this Friday. Post-turkey day shopping madness! People getting up at 3am to cook breakfast so they can be off to Walmart, Kohl's or Macy's by 4am. Phew! It can be exhausting just thinking about it.

So how will the "strategic shopper" handle this day? Easy........I am not going to get up at 3am on Friday morning. I am going to stay up and start shopping at Midnight when the local outlet mall opens its doors! Ohhhh yessss......check your local outlet malls people! There are many that will be open at Midnight for all of the reeeeeally early morning frivolity. By the time I get my shopping done at 3 or 4am.......the shopaholics will be out at the local mall just getting started with their long day of window shopping.

It is quite a unique trip at Midnight the night of Thanksgiving. Last year the outlet mall was simply manic. There had to be at least 1000 people there at 1:30 am. Even the food court was open! Of course, Lyn and I made the trip and we found out first hand how manic it was well before we landed at the actual mall. You see......approximately 2 miles out from the actual highway exit for the outlet.........traffic was at a complete standstill. We moved about 1 yard every 10 minutes. So from 11:30 to 1:30 we sat on the highway. Yeah. Thank God for Sirius satellite radio because up there in farm country.....you do not get a radio signal. So at least we had some entertainment.

This year I will be heading up there once again. This time - because of logistics or maybe because she fears the highway wait - Lyn will not be going with me on this little adventure. This time I am dragging my friend Robin with me. I have decided that getting up there early is the best option and I am going to bring provisions with us. Kinda like a tailgate party. My feeling is that you cannot be prepared enough for this type of shopping experience.

So what type of shopper are you? 1) Strategic shopper 2) Window shopper or 3) No shopping.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: