Monday, October 15, 2007

Monday Without Meatloaf

Meatloaf definitely makes Monday's better, and clearly inspires creativity. No meatloaf, no posts. Hmm. Perhaps it's a conspiracy.

Or perhaps it's the old 'why would anyone read what I have to say' creeping in. I admire Rita's ability to post at will about any number of topics. Whereas I stress over what makes a worthwhile topic...kind of like I'm missing the point of the whole blogging thing, huh?

As I've started down the blogging path as a Working the Room contributor, I've been doing what any good novice would do and immersing myself in a number of lesbian blogs -- Hahn At Home and The Wishful Writer in particular. I've actually spent time reading the archives of these and others, so sucked in am I by a particular post or random turn of phrase.

I'm soooooo jealous. It seems to come so easy.

Have I spent too many years writing cheesy brochure copy, news releases and event scripts to actually remember how to be engaging, chatty, witty, able to banter at will? Could I ever? (E-mail flirting aside, since I may have actually succeeded at that on a couple of occasions. Accidently, of course.)

I had a very short first career as a news reporter turned feature writer and ultimately columnist. Sure, it was for a weekly newspaper in the late 80s. Pre-laptop, pre-WWW access, but still one of the most empowering things I've ever done. I remember writing my first column about the challenge of finding an apartment with character in suburban Dayton Ohio. That got me a date with a cute sports reporter for a sister newspaper, and, ultimately, the feature and column clips led me to an advertising job in a new, larger city with lots of character-filled apartments I could actually then afford.

And then... I woke up in my current state of mid-life crisis. I'm hoping this blogging thing is going to help move me beyond that. I'll keep reading. Keep writing. And keep hoping someone's at least occasionally mildly entertained.



2 comments:

Me. Here. Right now. said...

I work all day long with people who write cheesy brochures, event releases, blah, blah, blah. You can do it, you can!

Heather said...

I just read this blog and want to thank you for mentioning my blog as one you read :)

Secondly, trust me - everyone struggles to find something to write about (and wonders if anyone will read, laugh or even care). October was a terrible month for me and I struggled to write on a lot of days - and didn't. I just couldn't find a damn thing to say (which NEVER happens!)

Of course that Hahn...SHE makes it look so easy. Hussy. :)

I look forward to catching up on your blog!

Heather