Sunday, June 29, 2008

Gas price death climb

In one of my very first postings in August 2005, the gas prices in the Cincinnati area were $2.55 per gallon and at that time I thought I had something to complain about. However, I also thought that we would be well over $5.00 per gallon by now so I guess I should be thankful that the prices have not jumped quite as quickly.

I had to fill up my two gallon gas can this week for my lawnmower. I don't know why but I winced more at the cost of filling up my 2 gallon can than I do to add 21 gallons to my Ford Sport Trac. Granted, it is costing me approximately $80 to fill up the truck but I think I am getting accustomed to the idea that it is going to cost me more to fill up my auto.

The latest story on the news this morning is that the airlines will likely begin pulling out of the smaller airports and concentrate their business in the larger U.S cities. This will lead to the closure of many of the smaller airports that some of us have been using for bargain flights. At some point, we will be left with fewer flight options which will lead us to other travel options outside of airplanes. Or we simply stop traveling......

My thought is, if gas prices continue their spiral upward, air travel will be something only for the elite - millionaires who could care less what it costs to fill up their Mercedes and Porsche. Strange as it sounds, there are people out there who make so much money they just have their "drivers" fill up the tank and give no thought about the cost. In fact, they probably don't ever see their credit card statements.

It all means scary times for you and me - the average consumer. I am not ready to give up my truck for a horse but it may mean alternative travel arrangements in the future to get where I want to go.

I very well may be one of those "spoiled Americans". I am not willing to stop traveling and stay home.

2 comments:

Me. Here. Right now. said...

New home construction down/older home remodels down = hardware store profits dive, capital goods production slashed, ancillary goods and services reduced, workers laid off, no money for mortgage, no decent bankruptcy options left to the average American.

For every a-hole who voted for this administration - I won't say I told ya' so.

Martini Cartwheels said...

Did Bush & Company really think the $600.00 stimulus check was going to help things? Great. I can fill my tank 10 times. Ok George, what's your next bright idea? I am fearful of where we are heading in terms of this economy.