Sunday, July 01, 2007

Independence Day

As we approach yet another 4th of July holiday, we will once again be reminded about our brave soldiers overseas and the thousands of men and women who have died serving our country and protecting our freedoms.

Despite the fact that I am one of the 70% of all Americans who are against the war in Iraq, I have to give credit where credit is due to those Americans who are brave enough to go down to a military office and volunteer to serve under this new world reality. I mean.....who would want to do that in these times? I think it takes a lot of intestinal fortitude to stand up and volunteer after watching daily war coverage on any of the news networks. I do know that volunteers have slowed down primarily because of the Iraq situation, but slow down doesn't mean new enlistments have come to a screeching halt.

I don't think I would have been able to make the same decision 23 years ago but then, in 1984 we were not facing the same threats as today. I think the idea of going into the military seemed like a boring thing to do........a passing thought at best. The military was just not on the agenda when I was 18.

So today I want to give credit and thanks to those folks who, for whatever reason, will make the decision today or tomorrow to volunteer to serve in our national forces. These are troubling times across the globe and it takes courage to enlist and allow your life to be completely guided by someone elses plan and agenda.

No comments: