Thursday, February 26, 2009

Aging parents



This week I have had to take my father to the hospital for an angiogram and ultimately an angioplasty. He spent an overnight in the hospital - much to the chagrin of the nursing staff who had to deal with his wanderlust all night long. He didn't sleep. So he walked the halls and I am sure he kept things lively for them in the early morning hours.


When he got home, he found himself in front of a "new fangled" pill box with assorted pill colors in each respective day. Ok yes....I bought the box for him, but that is how I handle situations. I try to organize things based on the given situation. This situation screamed the need for organization and structure!


The morning after his first night home he called to ask me if he should take the Thursday pills now. I said....."No....Dad its Wednesday". To which he replied...."Oh hell, I already took all of those (Weds) last night". YIKES! A remedial class on the pill box layout and functionality quickly ensued that afternoon and I believe that now he is on the path to righteousness instead of a medical emergency. He simply is not used to taking medications of any kind and now......he is in uncharted territory.


I guess we all think about what it will be like when our parents age and become dependant upon us. Both of my parents are independent, strong willed individuals who live a solitary lifestyle. This week was a real eye opener in regards to where my father is in the aging process. It is a concern to me since I am now their first line of support - two separate households and only one of me.


Anyone caring for two parents who live in separate households? I am not in full caregiver mode at this point - as I said both parents are mobile and fend for themselves right now. I am interested in hearing how other people may handle this unique situation.

2 comments:

Middle Girl said...

My mom is basically on her own, but we live less than a mile apart and I see her often and we consult nearly daily. She has a multitude of health issues, nearly all of which require some kind of medication. I made her a chart and she seems to be managing that ok on her own.

We are getting to a point when a decision about housing must be made. While she is fairly independent, she is growing increasingly frustrated with...life. So, supportive living situations are being researched, visited, yay(ed) or nay(ed).

I suspect by this time next year she'll be living in one. Hopefully, her health will not degrade any further, any faster.

Good Luck.

Martini Cartwheels said...

I'm lucky that my mother moved into my sister's house. It saves me a lot of worry. I wish you the best with this.